Home | Photos | Events | Activities | Public Hours | Video | History |
T. C. Almon Recreation Center, named in honor of Probate Judge T. C. Almon, was opened on December 18, 1970. The center was part of the $5 million Point Mallard Park complex and was the third recreation center to be constructed in Decatur.
During the Depression, the City of Decatur loaned $100,000 to the Alabama Highway Department in order to complete construction on the Keller Memorial Bridge. The loan went unpaid for years until Judge Almon persuaded the Legislature in Montgomery to pass a bill that would repay the $100,000 to the city. Judge Almon delivered a check to the Decatur City Council for the full amount of the loan.
Judge Almon was well-known politically and held many positions. He served as attorney for the City of Decatur from 1935 to 1938 and was instrumental in the process that allowed the city council to buy a portion of the Alabama Power Company so the city could own its own electric system. He served in the Legislature as assistant floor leader during Governor Bibb Graves’ second administration and on November 14, 1938, was appointed judge of probate, a position he held for over 30 years. He also had the opportunity to work with Alabama State Governor, John Patterson.
He was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1936 in Philadelphia when Franklin D. Roosevelt was nominated for a second term as President and served as chairman of the state for the same convention in July 1960 when John F. Kennedy was nominated for President. Judge Almon was also acquainted with President Lyndon B. Johnson.
Judge Almon was an influential citizen of Decatur and contributed much in his efforts to help the city grow and prosper.