Decatur City CemeteryHome | Photos | Events | Video | History |
The Decatur City Cemetery is a historic graveyard within the city of Decatur, AL. Burials occurred as early as 1851 and the first recorded burials were documented in 1855. The cemetery is currently divided into seven sections: Original, Brown Circle, Cantwell, Cowan, Decatur Land Company, Humes and Sterrs.
The Decatur Cemetery Association was organized on May 28, 1897, and controlled the cemetery until February 1, 1979, when the cemetery was deeded to the City of Decatur. Through the Association, the Brown and Wyker families were involved with the cemetery's management and for many years the books were kept at Wyker's Hardware on Bank Street. The City of Decatur's Parks and Recreation Department manages and maintains the 50-acre cemetery today.