Julian Harris ParkHome | Photos | Events | History |
Julian Harris Park is located adjacent to the Julian Harris Elementary School in Southwest Decatur and therefore carries the same name. The school and park are named in honor of the prominent Decatur attorney, Julian Harris. The Harris family first began practicing law in Decatur in 1872, when Colonel C. C. Harris established a practice in the city. Julian Harris followed in his ancestor’s footsteps and practiced law at the family firm. The firm, known as Harris, Shinn, Phillips and Perry, merged with the law practice of Caddell and Shanks in 1989, and is known today as Harris, Caddell and Shanks. Mr. Julian Harris served as the first Charter Secretary of the Rotary Club of Decatur that was chartered on November 19, 1928. He served on the Board of Directors and held the position of Rotary Club president from 1935 to 1936. He was also a member of the Decatur City Schools Board of Education and served as the Board of Education’s attorney.